Apache Junction Seekers

Al and Linda enjoy visiting new places and having new experiences. In 2006, we spent 4 months in Europe and originally created this blog to keep friends and family informed. After a long delay, I'm trying to catch up with what we've been doing since then and hope to carry on into the future.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010


A Word about humidity

I had forgotten what humidity smells like. In the desert, if you smell the air, it smells dusty, or after a rain it smells like wet dust.
But where it’s humid, the air smells all the time, a heavy, earthy smell that hits you in the face when you exit the a/c. Sometimes the odor of humidity is overlaid with good smells, like honeysuckle or lilac. Sometimes it is permeated with stinky smells like oil or skunk. Un-air conditioned enclosed spaces smell musty, as do the sheets on my bed. The bath towels take forever to dry. I break out in a sweat as soon as I step into the sun, so I probably smell pretty "musty" myself most of the time.

Al has been fretting about the humidity for all the months that we’ve been planning the trip. Now that we’re in it, he’s decided he can stand it for a while, especially since he's noticed that his skin isn't as dry. Maybe the humidity will moisturize all my wrinkles away.

The good thing about being where it is humid is all the lovely flowering trees. The one above is in Luling, TX, just down the street from City Market. We've gotten used to the fact that everything is so green, although it was a little weird at first.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home